Warning: call_user_func_array() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, no array or string given in /home3/linda/public_html/straydogscampaign.com/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 298
Donations
Both PayPal and the Donation button charge us a fee for each donation. Sometimes its more economic to donate by bankwire
Subscribe to our newsletter

your name (required)

Your E-mail (required)

Dogs looking for friends

IBAN NL62INGB0004011891 BIC / SWIFT-Code: INGBNL2A ING Bank-Amsterdam. ActieZwerfhonden Zonnemaire The Netherlands

Chocolate

Chocolate contains a substance called Theobromine which is highly toxic in dogs. A minor intake of Theobromine will cause symptoms such as an increased thirst, vomiting and diarrhoea 6 till 12 hours after the intake.

Restlessness, increased heart rate and heavy panting may also occur. In more serious cases with a higher intake of Theobromine the dog may get muscle tremors, seizures and slip into a coma and death may occur. Pure chocolate is more toxic than white- or milkchocolate. A dog that weighs 10 kilograms will reach a toxic level of Theobromine when he ingests 12,5 grams. ( this is for example the amount of only one small bar of Merci chocolate, 10 M & M’s or 2 pieces of a normal size chocolate bar).

A dose of 40 grams of pure chocolate can already be fatal in a 10 kilogram dog.

If your dog has eaten chocolate, please contact your vet as soon as possible. If needed, your vet can induce vomiting.

Beside chocolate, Theobromine is also found in cola, tea, cocoa powder and cocoa beans. Also be aware of the cocoa bean shells that some people have in their garden, these are also toxic!